Sunday, December 21, 2008

How much does honesty cost?

Kyle and I braved the weather and the crowds and went to Wal-Mart yesterday. We picked up some essentials for Sunday Snacking and some cleaning supplies that I would need on Monday while he is at work and I am at home.
Well I wanted to get a great big scrub brush and found a lovely gray one. We hooked the handle on the back of the child seat and continued shopping.
Check out time came and we went through the self check out. Out in the car we are loading up our purchases and low and behold the gray scrub brush, which is the same color as the cart, fell and camouflaged itself at the bottom of the cart therefore it didn't make it through the scanning and paying for process.
Kyle and I stared at each other, stunned that we have just inadvertently "shop-lifted". Kyle says, "What do you want to do?" I say, "I'll go back and pay for it."
I head back in and the greeter asks me if I'm returning the brush. I say no... I forgot to pay for this. She asks me if I still want it. I say yes and she tells me, "Well go to it."
Honesty costs exactly $1.19. But the feeling of telling bishop that I'm honest with my dealings with my fellow men...
Priceless.

3 comments:

Julie said...

It almost sounds like a master card commercial, but I am proud of you. This is one of the reasons that we are friends. Thanks for the vote of confidence in humanity.

Linda said...

Celestal Kingdom Material. What a GREAT feeling you must have. I am proud of you, as it would be so easy t just go home and blow off $1.19 thinking "well, next time they over charge me, I'll be even"! Especially when the weather is so cold. YEAH for the great example you set for the rest of us.

Sassy said...

yay for honesty! you're great. when jay and i think about you, we smile. :D